CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Third Letter

Dearest Astra,

I shall now tell you every detail of my grand adventure in the Palace Vast, big or small.
Grandfather and I got up quite early and began our eager preparations to go to the Palace Vast. The Xar said he would send a Car, one of those large transports the Inventore himself made, at seventy-five past two. I confess, I was nearly hyperventilating, I was so nervous! Duke Gandull has loaned us ten of his servants while we are here and one of them is a fabulous hairdresser and she made my hair look like the Milky Way! It came down in beautiful shimmering waves upon my back, taking on the hues of the moonlight when we were outside and the sparkle of the Synelight when we were in. I bought a new dress for the occasion, sapphire blue, shimmering with stardust, it wraps gracefully up around my neck, leaving my shoulders bare, and then swoops down slightly in the back. The skirt flows around my legs, but was specially made so that I never trip on it. I had wanted to have my eyes done, but the servants were much against it, saying my eyes were my natural beauty and that if they did them up, they were likely to blind the Xar. I laughed of course, but they kept on at it, and I finally gave in and settled for my plain blue eyes.
The rest of me was beautiful! I think I felt what it must be like to be you! Grandfather most emphatically approved and when the Car arrived, we were off.
The Car was long and black and it purred like a tiger. When we got in, it took off at a great speed, going much faster than a Heetah.
We came to the Palace Vast and it nearly took my breath away. The hallway we entered was sparkling in purple hues and the walls were draped in the darkest velvet I have ever seen, but still somehow it gave off light.
We didn't see much of the Palace, for the room we were to meet the Xar in was right off the main hall.
The room was exactly square, and it the center of it, sunk slightly into the floor, was the Xar's throne and the Xar himself on it. The throne was of a beautiful light wood, with simple carvings of the universe all around it's edges. The Xar was dressed in his state robes, his trousers dusted with dirt and his top hanging slightly open, showing his muscular, work hardened chest. In his hand he held a small chunk of wood and while he talked with us he sat carving the chunk. He was carving a lady of some sort, for soon you could see the smooth flow of a dress and the elegant lines of a regal neck, with the lady's hair flowing out and around her face and gently down her back.
Yes, I confess, I was paying too much attention to his carving and not enough to the conversation I was supposed to be recording. But his hands were so beautiful, deft and strong, with little scars all about. He rarely looked at his work, his hands seemed to work of themselves.
Here is the jist of what I recorded of the meeting: The Xar got up when we came in and warmly shook Grandfathers hand and bowed slightly to me. We all sat down and I took up my pen and paper, though I was still watching the Xar.
Grandfather opened the meeting, giving a rough view of why he had come to Buair and the situation in Camellott, the feelings of the people and so forth. The Xar nodded thoughtfully throughout and kept eye contact with Grandfather throughout, except giving me an occasional glance and smile.
When Grandfather had finished his narrative, the Xar sat in silence for a moment, his brows pulled together in thought. Here is what he finally said:
"The people of Camellott are the best judges of their situation. From what you have told me, it seems as though it would be best if Lord Gerome were removed from his position as Judge." Grandfather nodded and the Xar went on. "However, you have forgotten one critical thing." Granfather looked confused. "Lord Gerome is a powerful ally to the Kingdome of Gargan and if I were to remove him from his position, we would bring a greater threat on the people than Lord Gerome alone poses at the present." Understanding came to Grandfather's eyes and he bowed his head in thought. The Xar's work on his carving sped up as he thought, oft times his hands moving so quickly I lost clear sight of them. Finally the Xar shook himself out of his reverie and looked at me.
"I believe Xandra has an idea." I was shocked, for indeed, I did have an idea, but I was puzzled as to how he could have guessed.
"Indeed, I do." I gave him a puzzled look and he smiled.
"You were twisting your pen in a slightly different pattern and your mouth lifted slightly on the left side about twenty seconds ago. I simply guessed." He smiled again and I shook my head ruefully. He motioned for me to speak.
"It is not really an idea, more of a thought. The problem is that you must keep the allegiance of Lord Gerome but by robbing him of his position as judge, you are afraid that will spark his wrath and we will lose him as an ally. Is that correct?" He nodded. "Well, if I may be so bold, the answer is simple enough. Lord Kalley recently retired from his position as Chief Overseer Of Jewells and I believe Grandfather mentioned that Lord Gerome is discontent with his position, seeking to higher it. What higher position could he want than Chief Overseer Of Jewells? I am certain he would jump at the chance."
"But surely that would not solve our problems. We are not attempting to give Lord Gerome more power, we are attempting to take the little he has away from him, which he abuses." Grandfather pointed out.
"Just so. But in what ways does Lord Gerome abuse his power? The Xar pointed out that the people are the best judges of their situation. The people believe that Lord Gerome is wrong for the situation which he now occupies. But surely that does not make him wrong for any position. I remember reading about Lord Gerome when I was last in Camellott. He is known as being a rather hasty man, apt to dislike courtly manners and politics, therefore apt to do all he can to get them out of his way. But he is an intelligent man, and knows that if he were to give up the position he has, he is not likely to get another. But you are missing the main point." I said this when Grandfather shook his head in confusion. "Lord Gerome was raised in Gargan. His father occupied the position as Chief Overseer Of Jewells there for a short period and Lady Gerome, has made it a point to let the women at court know that her husband would come to Buair in an instant to fill the same position. She is known to have said so, just last week, after it was made public that Lord Kalley had retired." Grandfather was beginning to smile and the Xar was waching me keenly. "So, you see, all you have to do, is offer Lord Gerome the position he wants and he will be more than happy to give up the position that suits him so ill."
Grandfather was chuckling softly now and the Xar had stopped his work on his carving, nodding slowly and appreciatively.
Grandfather said, "What a fool I was to not fill you in on the details of the situation earlier, Xandra. We would have saved the Xar some wasted time and me an apparently wasted trip."
The Xar said, "Surely not wasted! I would never have had the chance to become acquainted with such a gem as your granddaughter!" He smiled at me and I could feel myself blushing. "I will do exactly as you say, Xandra. I will send out an offer to Lord Gerome immediately and another one to your Grandfather." Grandfather looked up in surprise. "Yes indeed, Melvin, I will send you a formal offer to fill the position of Judge of Camellott, for it sounds as if that would suit the people just right. Good Day to both of you."
And with that he left us, leaving through one of the curtains on the walls. As he passed me he pressed something into my hand and in his other hand I saw his finished carving and I was shocked to realize that it was me! I suppose he is in the habit of carving those who come to see him, though he didn't carve Grandfather.
I did not have time to look at the thing in my hand until we were in the Car heading back. It is the most beautiful thing! It is a doe, small and plain, but there is something about the face, the set of the large eyes and the confidence with which they stare back at me.
I have studied it over and over again and each time I find some beautiful little detail, endearing me more and more to this small carving.
I am honored that the Xar would give me this gift and I will treasure it always. It is a silly hope, but I hope to meet him again.
Now, tell me of your life dear friend. Are you still in Quest with those awful clouds of darkness or have you moved on with our travels without me? Tell me all!

Friendship Forever,
Xandra

0 comments: