CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 6, 2008

Seventh Letter

Dear Astra,

I hardly know what to write. Your letter has caused me many mixed emotions and I still don't know that I feel up to the task of writing this letter, to one whom I now feel I know so ill.
Though my mind tells me I do not know you, my heart cannot let me be a complete stranger to one who was a short while ago, my dearest friend. Therefore, I still feel the need to confide in you, as I have always done before.
My first time through your letter, I was convinced you had bashed your head in, for your brain must be scrambled to make up a story such as that. But on further perusal, I have come to the conclusion that you are at least half serious. Are you serious?
It is truly hard to believe even a part of the fantastic things you have written me. I do not doubt your abilities or your determination to do what's right, but I confess, I find it rather hard to believe that you are a member of this, group, this, "Nebeula". But my longtime faith in your honesty compells me to acknowledge this fact as an actual truth. But how can you have kept this from me for so long? It has hurt me deeply. But I will not say more on that point.
But beside all your amazing adventures, and secret societies and fantastic prophecies, you expect me to believe that I am a part of this? That I am the one with the "gift"? My dearest friend, I fear your imagination has led you astray.
Your story, I suppose, has a possibility of being the truth. But that it can have any impact or importance on the dangers of our day, is incredible and hard to swallow. That this "Rax" can come back to haunt us, so to speak, is ridiculous. The story has been told and therefore, that is the end of it. It has no bearing on today.
But aside from all these things, I find it harder to believe that you would concoct such a fantastic story, merely for your own amusement and my distress. In this light, I cannot help but believe that what you say is true, or at the least, you believe it is true.
Yes, you belong to a group called "Nebeula". Yes, there is a group called "Nova", whom you oppose. Yes, you have miraculously learned to fight with weapons and magyks. Yes, there was once a terrible battle fought, where one called "Nokturne" defeated one called "Rax". Yes, "Nokturne" had a gift, a gift of changing people. But No, I repeat No, I do not have this same gift, and never will.
What could have enticed you to entertain such a thought? What has brought on this bout of insanity? What has led you to such a fantastic conclusion? I fear for your health of mind if you do not dispell this idea once and for all.
I am still unaware as to the dangers you seem so certain are soon to beset us. But I warrant that danger is most certain to be there and I will do all in my power to assist all I can in overcoming the evil around us. But I will not allow you to put me in a fantasized position of such importance. I am hurt and offended that you would tease me in such a way. Do not play so upon my feelings. I have given my support all I can. There is no need for forcing my hand. I will not stand such patronization.

Please forgive me. I do not mean to injure you with my rantings. I am certain you mean well. But in all seriousness, tell me what I can do to help. I am as dedicated as you in the cause of good.
And do not worry yourself so. I will be there, in the heart of Corinth on the night of Rudeth. It's not as if anyone is to prevent my going. I will be there.

You seem to have taken my recent refusal to Benden as a more serious matter than I meant you to see it. It was all in fun and I know for a certain fact that Ben did not mean a thing by it.
He sent a note yesterday, thanking me for the good fun we had together and his much needed practice in the art of disguise. He made it known to me that the whole affair was merely a challenge from a group of friends and that he knew I would not be one to take such a thing seriously, and therefore I should be safe to practice on. He is off to join a performing group in Corinth and he asks that I come see him, as he owes all his training and talent to my great tutoring. But he still asks that I meet him "at the heart of Corinth on the night of Rudeth".
His letter gave me a great laugh. It was as I suspected all along. I agree with you on the point that we should not do well married to each other, but I declare, I find him a funny fellow and should not begrudge knowing him better someday. He has talent and I shall enjoy watching him on stage.

Putting all war and danger behind me, I shall tell you of my last two days here at the Palace Vast.


My room is all one could ask for, only in want of more to fill the enourmous space. But I know how you detest details of decoration and taste, so I won't bother you on the subject and will recount my latest encounters with the Xar.

On my first night here, I was taken dinner in my private sitting room, along with the regrets of the Xar that he was unable to join me. He was delayed in an unforeseen meeting and would not be back until late that night. But he graciously requested my presence at every evening meal with him for the rest of my stay in the Palace.

I was deeply flattered and gave my heartfelt consent. The following day, the Xar was out, and I was unneeded and left to my own devices. I explored what parts of the Palace I felt comfortable being in, and spent a large part of the day in the Vast Gardens as it was a beautiful day.


That evening, promptly at five, I was called down to dine with the Xar. There were other guests present, for you know the Xar never dines alone, and I was introduced to each one. I don't recall anyone of great importance, excepting Lord Gerome, who, as you may recall, has recently come to the Capitol to occupy tht position of Chief Overseer of Jewells. My introduction to Lord Gerome was very warm and he took to me very well. I suspect he was told somewhat of my part in getting him his new position.

Dinner was delightful, but uneventful. I sat near the Xar and he frequently spoke to me, asking me for details of my stay so far in Buair and my other adventures around the world. I was more than happy to fill him in and he was a splendid listener, frequently asking me to expound on certain points and places.

After dinner, we adjourned to the Great Hall, where cushions and chairs had been positioned around the Xar's throne. I had a few moments to speak to the Ladies there, but was soon called to sit next to the Xar, as he was anxious for my opinion on whether or not Grandfather Melvin would be more likely to plant Zuy seeds in the fields next year, or Kerch. The Lords were against Zuy, saying they tended to bring more Tze flies, but the Xar was for them, saying that with their harvest nearly every day, they brought in the most profit and food for the people, where as Kerch only brought in a harvest every three days and that the people could stand a few more Tze flies for a lot more food. The debate went on, but the Xar eventually won out.


I will not tire you with the remainder of our trivial conversations. The Xar was extremely kind to me the whole night through, and I was grateful for his attentions, where I was in a situation foreign to me and had not made the acquaintance of any others in attendance.

Dinner was much the same last night. I am slowly but surely making the frienship of some of the ladies of the court but the Xar continues to keep me by his side. I have not had any more meetings to Record, but I am enjoying my peace, going often to the Vast Gardens to contemplate.


While I was in the gardens early this morning, I had the pleasure of meeting with the Xar himself. He was alone, which is rare, and he invited me to join him on his stroll. I did so, and he graciously proffered his arm. The morning was soft and everything was in bloom, nothing frightened to show it's face.

We walked for a few minutes, discussing the weather and the flowers, and other trivial things of the same sort. When we came to the Lotus Pool, the Xar took me to a bench and we sat down. We continued to talk, never stopping for uncomfortable pauses, the conversation always flowing gracefully. Our conversation would not much interest you, except near the end. We had been discussing the Night of Rudeth and I again gave my regrets but stayed firm that I could not attend the meeting. He let it pass and told me to continue to think on it. We got up and started to make our way back to the Palace. When we came to the place where we were to part, he bent down and kissed my hand, then stepped away to leave. But he then turned back and came closer to me. The syne was shining softly behind him, and I could just make out the regal features of his face. He took my hand again, and with his eyes now locked with mine, asked if I would join him for a morning stroll every morning, for he would surely suffer if he were to take that lovely walk again without me.


He looked so wonderful and his voice was so soothing and I loved the walk and I couldn't help but say yes. So, now I go walking with the Xar every morning and I dine with him each night. Do you think that is wrong? Your warning is still clear in my mind, but I cannot think that it is warranted. The Xar is a good man, and I trust him. Nothing but an evil act on his part can entice me to think otherwise. Your words will not sway me.



Yours ever,

Xandra



P.S.

Forgive me for my anger.

I am always anxious for your safety. Take Care, my Dear Friend.



0 comments: